Friday, July 30, 2010

Weekly Roundup

Fitness
The stars were definitely aligned this week for running. Kids were in camp from 9-12, the humidity was all but gone, and temps were mostly in the low 80's.  According to my "DailyMile" stats, I've run 14 miles this week. I've got one more day to bang out a long run (8+), but we are leaving for the Cape and I hope I want to get up at 6AM to do the run (although Chris says "you are going to get your run in -- otherwise you'll go crazy stuck in traffic.") Thanks honey.

Here's the breakdown of my mileage...
Sunday --   0
Monday --  4.2, plus a 60 minute weights workout at the gym
Tuesday --  2.8
Wednesday -- 2.8, plus a 60 minute weights workout at the gym
Thursday -- 0
Friday -- 4.3

Saturday -- ???

Monday and Friday, I ran to the Hospital and back -- I'm digging this run! and Tuesday/Wednesday I ran the pond.

I felt good most of the week, except for Thursday I felt a little sore in the hips/legs. Thankfully, it was gone by this morning. The reason for not running on Thursday? I decided to pack while the kids weren't home. It made for a nice and quiet morning. Here are the links to my runs.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41920530
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42026923
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42179737
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42418044

Food
This week I made some delicious Banana Muffins. They were really good; so good that Ben ate one and liked it (He's not a muffin man...). The recipe made 12 muffins. To prove just how good they were, I just finished baking another batch to take down to the Cape (we still have three left over from the first batch). I like to store my muffins in a ziploc bag in the freezer so I don't eat them all; this time I left them in the fridge. Either way -- they are delicious!






I made some modifications to the recipe; here it is. 






One-Bowl Banana Muffins
Recipe adapted from herbivoracious.com
  • 2 large ripe bananas, peeled
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter -- I used 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk -- I used about a 1/2 cup of plain non-fat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour -- I used King Arthur 100% whole wheat
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
I also added the following to the top of the muffins before baking


  • 1/8 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1 tablespoon of Turbinado sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line 10 muffins tins with muffin/cupcake liners. (I made a full dozen; no liners)
  2. Put the bananas in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Add the butter and microwave 20 seconds at a time until the butter is softened but not melted. (It is fine if a little bit of it melts).
  3. Mash the bananas and butter together until there isn't a lot of lumpiness left.
  4. Thoroughly stir in the sugar, beaten egg, milk, vanilla extract, and salt.
  5. Place a sieve over the bowl and fill it with the flour, baking power and baking soda. Sift the contents into the wet ingredients, trying to stir the sieve as you go to distribute the leaveners. I did not do this step; I read on Simply Recipes (for banana bread) to sprinkle the leaveners directly into the wet ingredients and mix gently; then I folded in the flour (see next step).
  6. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Stop when they are just moistened. We'd rather have a couple lumps than risk overbeating it and having tough muffins.
  7. Distribute the batter into the tins. Sprinkle oats and sugar on top. Bake about 25 minutes.

Family Fun
My parents came down from NH for supper and a visit with the kids on Sunday and my dad brought down some fishing poles. Chris and the gang went down to Sandy Pond to fish and swim...and for the first time ever -- the kids ended up with baby leaches on them! We were surprised to say the least. They swam on a part of the pond that we'd never swam at and either a). there are leaches in part of the pond or b). babies just happened to hatch at the same time the kids were swimming. No harm done and the kids are still talking about them today! Here are some pics from that great adventure.







We are headed down to the Cape tomorrow -- our first trip there! Staying in Orleans, within walking distance of Nauset beach. I won't be posting anything until we get back. Be prepared for lots of pictures and silly stories about all the fun, food, and fitness the week brings.


Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment